Sunday, October 19, 2014





Spent the last couple of days birding the West & East Meadows of Northampton. My goal was to try and track down the elusive Nelsen's Sparrow....at least elusive to me. This particular bird was hanging out hanging out at an area known as the Ibis Pool. I figured I might have one last day before the next weather front came through and possibly moving this bird on. Surprisingly or amazingly, it only took me 15 minutes to relocated the bird.

The entire area around the Ibis pool was just busting with sparrows. The most common were Song, Savannah and Swamp, mixed in were a few Lincoln's, White-crowned, White-throated and a Field Sparrow. Also present was a nice flock of Pine Siskins and a couple Red-shouldered Hawks.

In the East Meadows the main highlight was the number of American Pipits. I had a couple groups that totaled over 160!
 


Nelsen's Sparrow-The Drought is over! This is my first Nelsen's Sparrow in the state. It's only taken 35+ years.
This bird hung in for almost a week at the Ibis Pool in the West Meadows. (Northampton)

Swamp Sparrow- Excellent numbers coming through the valley. 

Yellow-rumped Warbler- Love that Butter color!

Palm Warbler-Eastern Race.

Purple Finch- Good numbers the last few weeks. Up to 11 at our feeders.

Purple Finch-male.