Monday, February 4, 2008

February 3, 2008



On Sunday morning I birded the south end of the Quabbin Reservoir (Head Quarters Area) and later made my into North Amherst. A total of 33 species were tallied during this morning outting. Highlights below.....


Quabbin Reservoir- Canada Goose (18), Hooded Merganser (2), Common Merganser (2),
and a single Snow Bunting.

After leaving Quabbin Headquarters I headed up to the Pelham lookout on Rte 202 in Pelham. My hope was to find a Golden Eagle soaring over the westside of the Reservoir-no luck. I did manage to find a Sharp-shinned Hawk (Adult) moving past the overlook, but that was it!

After Pelham I headed to the Cherry Hill Golf Course in North Amherst - While on route to the Golf Course I came across (5) Pine Grosbeaks working over a large Crabapple tree on Montague Rd, just south of the golf course. Once at the Golf Course, I came upon a nice group of birds along the marsh and tree line on the first fairway. A nice male Pileated Woodpecker worked over a dead tree for about 5 minutes, Eastern Bluebirds, American Robins and Cedar Waxwings were feeding on berries and several Dark-eyed Juncos and American Tree Sparrows worked the edges of the fairways.


Once I finished up at the Golf Course, I headed up to Juggler Meadow Road in Leverett. This area has been good for Northern Srike over the years and today it did not let me down. I had nice looks at a imm No.Shrike for about three minutes before it just dropped out of sight. All in all a pleasant day of birding.



Scott